Davidson has many core values. Often, these core values can be in conflict with each other. An example of conflicting values is the balance between personal privacy and public safety. Over the past six years, I feel that I’ve helped your Town Board of Commissioners to strike the right balance between our core values.
Throughout this website you’ll see multiple references to core values. We’ve even got a ‘slider’ with a bit of information on each core value, and the ‘accomplishments’ page is organized by core value.
Here, in their entirety, are the core values of the Town of Davidson:
Davidson is a town that has long been committed to controlling its own destiny as a distinct, sustainable, and sovereign municipality. Our town’s sense of community is rooted in citizens who respect each other; in racial and socioeconomic diversity; in pedestrian orientation; and in the presence of a liberal arts college. We believe our history and setting guide our future.
Davidson’s government exists to help citizens in maintaining the town’s unique qualities and to provide superior services to every resident. To this end, the town government of Davidson will operate according to the following core values:
- Citizens are the heart of Davidson, so town government will treat all people fairly, with courtesy and respect.
- Open communication is essential to an engaged citizenry, so town government will seek and provide accurate, timely information and promote public discussion of important issues.
- Davidson must be a safe place to live, work, and raise a family, so the town will work in partnership with the community to prevent crime and protect lives, property, and the public realm.
- Davidson’s historic mix of people in all income levels and ages is fundamental to our community, so town government will encourage opportunities, services, and infrastructure that allow people of all means to live and work here.
- Davidson’s traditional character is that of a small town, so land planning will reflect its historic patterns of village-centered growth, with connection of neighborhoods, preservation of rural area, and provision of public spaces.
- Citizens entrust town government with the stewardship of public funds, so government will provide high quality services at a reasonable cost.
- Davidson’s economic health is essential to its remaining a sustainable community, so town government will judiciously encourage and guide the location of new business opportunities.
- Citizens need to move easily throughout the town and region, so government will provide a variety of options, such as sidewalks, bike paths, greenways, connected streets, and transit.
- Citizens must live in a healthy environment, so town government will protect watersheds, trees, air quality, and other elements of the town’s ecology.
- The physical, social, and intellectual well-being of Davidson citizens is fundamental to our community, so town government will provide and encourage enjoyable, safe, and affordable recreational and cultural lifelong learning opportunities.
- As home to Davidson College, the town will engage the college’s faculty, staff and students in constructive communication and collaboration.
- Davidson exists in proximity to and is interdependent with other jurisdictions, so we strive for local, regional, state and federal cooperation.